What are the Continuing Education Requirements?
All licensees must successfully complete 22.5 hours of approved continuing education. The education must include at least 2.5 hours on the subject of ethical business practices, at least 1 hour of recent legal matters, at least 3 hours of instruction pertaining to fair housing and/or discrimination in the sale or rental of real property or an interest in real property and at least 1 hour of instruction pertaining to the law of agency except in the case of the initial two-year licensing term for real estate salespersons, 2 hours of agency related instruction must be completed within the two-year period immediately preceding a renewal.
Effective September 21, 2022 the 22.5 hours of approved continuing education must also include two hours of instruction pertaining to cultural competency and two hours of instruction pertaining to implicit bias.
Any salesperson who successfully completes an approved broker qualifying course (which requires passing the final exam), within their current term, will receive continuing education credit for completion of that course.
Please note: If completing the broker course for continuing education, you must also complete 2.5 hours of ethical business practices and 1 hour of recent legal matters topics to satisfy the requirement. Effective September 21, 2022 you must also complete 2 hours of cultural competency, 2 hours of implicit bias to satisfy the requirement.
So, what do I need for CE?
22.5 Hours that includes…
- 3 hours of fair housing and/or discrimination in the sale or rental of real property or an interest in real property
- 1 hour of agency (two hours for new licensees)
- 2 ½ hours of ethical business practices
- 1 hour of legal updates
- 2 hours of Implicit Bias
- 2 hours of Cultural Competency
- Licensees may take any other continuing education class for the remaining 11 hours.
- An attorney admitted to the New York State Bar who holds a real estate broker’s license is exempt from continuing education regquirements.